the place where famous poets and writers, such as Seferis and Henry Miller stayed while on Poros.
The traditions and dressings on Poros the former decades and centuries.
The old historical Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi of Poros is located 4km east of the main city of Poros island and is built on the slope of a pine forest. It was founded in 1720 a.d. by the Archbishop of Athens Iakovos (Jacob) the 2nd, who, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured, after drinking from the holy water springing near the Holy Monastery.
A museum with very interesting findings of the ancient history
In the north part of the island there are the ruins of the temple of Poseidon, which was built in 520BC. The main Temple was built in Doric style, though some of its columns were Ionian. Nearly the Temple there was the built up area of Kalavria. The place was so important that it was the center for the Amphictyonic League (amphictionnes: dwellers around") a voluntary "cooperative" of city-states in both civic and religious matters, which included Hermione, Epidauros, Aigina, Prassies, Athens and Orhomenos. At the Poseidon's Temple came Demosthenes the ancient great orator availing himself of its right of sanctuary as Philip the King of Macedonia chased him.